Sleep plays an important role in our daily life because a third of our life is spent sleeping in a bedroom. The bedroom is a safe space to make us feel relax and comfortable, thereby ensuring good sleep quality. Therefore, if you want to improve your sleep quality, first check your sleeping environment. What exactly can be called a "good" sleeping environment?
5 factors affect bedroom environment
According to relevant research, the below factors can be included: bedroom temperature & humidity, light, sound, color, aromatherapy, etc.
1. Temperature & humidity
There is no doubt that the bedroom temperature and humidity are important factors.
When talks to temperature, most sleep experts believe that the best room temperature for sleeping is 20 ° C- 23 ° C. Besides, the temperature goes too high or drops too low and is harmful to your health to some extent. When the bedroom temperature is above 23 ° C, sleep will become shallow; when the bedroom temperature is below 20 ° C, it is not easy to enter deep sleep. If the indoor temperature is too low in winter, even if you cover the quilt, you will feel that the exposed limbs and face are very cold, and you will form a sleepy posture without knowing it, which is bad for breathing fresh air.
As for humidity, the ideal bedroom humidity is 50% -70%, but the humidity changes with the seasons. The ideal humidity in spring and autumn is 50% -60%, and the humidity in summer is 90%. So ventilation in summer reduces humidity, winter humidification increases humidity.
The light in the bedroom should not be too bright. In order to ensure the quality of sleep, double-layer curtains have better light protection (you can also wear eye masks) and can create a quiet and dark environment suitable for sleep. Because bright light can stimulate your cerebral cortex and make you excited. It also stimulates our retina and makes us feel sleepless. Therefore, the curtains in the bedroom must have a good light-blocking effect. Curtains must be tightly closed, but they must also be breathable.
Noise is also called intonation, which makes people hear uncomfortable sounds and hinders people’s normal life. According to the amount of noise, the scientific definition is greater than 60 decibels belongs to noise. If ambient noise is beyond your control and affects rest, use earplugs or white noise machines. White noise suppresses ambient noise and makes falling asleep easier.
Generally speaking, continuous noise of 40 decibels can affect 10% of people, 70% can affect 50%, and sudden noise at 40dB can wake up 10% of people, and by 60dB, 70 % Of people are awake. Long-term interference with sleep can cause insomnia, fatigue, memory loss, and even neurasthenia syndrome. In high-noise environments, the incidence of this disease can reach more than 50% to 60%. When people don’t sleep well, it will directly reduce the efficiency of work and study.
The color of the bedroom decoration is very important. In the choice of bedroom decoration, try to choose: simple colors in light and soft tones. Because the simplicity of the color has a calm and comfortable mindset, it is more suitable for sleeping. Don’t be too bright and too depressing. Such as the red that is exciting and anxious, the orange that is appetizing and the yellow that stimulates the brain.
It is said that the British “Daily Mail” published a survey involving 2,000 families showing that color has a significant effect on sleep duration. People who use green have an average sleep time of more than 7 and a half hours. People who choose purple have the shortest sleep time, only 5 hours and 56 minutes. People who paint the wall blue have an average sleep time of 7 Hours 52 minutes. So, blue topped the list and was called the most favorable color for sleep.
The reason why blue is the color most conducive to sleep is that blue has the effect of reducing heart rate and making you calm and natural. And the blue hue is soft and less stimulating to the vision. It makes your brain relax, sleep better, and reduces nightmares. Therefore, blue is one of the most conducive colors to sleep. If you got light sleep, just try to paint your wall blue!
5. others-natural aromatherapy, soft light music, bedside lamp
- Natural aromatherapy-Aromatherapy is a very popular way of life nowadays. The aroma of aroma is good for calming and calming, and some aromatherapy is more for selling. The aromatherapy is not necessary for you maybe, but if you want to try, you’d better choose a natural and light flavor. Aromatherapy aids sleep and make you fall asleep faster.
- Soft light music-The music you listen to before bedtime is dominated by light and soft music with no strong rhythm. A recent study has shown that after listening to soothing music, those who are not easy to fall asleep will shorten their sleep time from 25 minutes to 18 minutes, and increase their sleep time by 20% to improve their sleep quality. Listening to soothing music before going to bed can not only increase the degree of deep sleep and shorten the period of sleep but also increase the satiety of sleep.
- Bedside lamp-According to scientific research, the human body secretes melatonin from 11 pm to 6 am the next day, which can promote sleep, but excessive light can inhibit the secretion of melatonin. Therefore, in the bedroom, a dimly lit bedside lamp is delicate and romantic. The bedside lamp should adopt a warm yellow and soft light source. The warm yellow light can create a warm and comfortable atmosphere, gradually relax the body and spirit, and help people to fall asleep quickly.
Tips for bedroom decoration
- Keeping the room clean and tidy is the first step to start a good life. A messy bedroom will always make people feel irritable and affect the quality of sleep. Therefore, you should be diligent in organizing your bedrooms in an orderly manner. Besides, the bedroom should be cleaned regularly to keep it tidy.
- Choosing comfortable and suitable bedding is a must thing. When sleeping, the quilt and pillow are the closest to us, and the quality of the bedding directly affects the quality of our sleep. Mattresses should be moderately soft and hard. If you get up too hard or too soft the next day you will feel sore. The height of the pillow is about the distance of one punch when the pillow goes down so that it won't fall easily. The quilt should also be light or thin, otherwise, the body will be difficult to breathe under pressure. We offer you the best pillows to improve your sleep, kindy check Adoric Bamboo Memory Foam Pillow, you will enjoy proper support and comfort. An adjustable memory foam pillow allows you to add or remove foam to adjust to your comfort. It is made from shredded memory foam, our bed pillow provides personalized support to your head, neck, and shoulders, perfect for side sleepers, back sleepers, and stomach sleepers. Breathable and washable bed pillow cover with cooling bamboo to keep you cool all night and wake up refreshed. Besides, change your bedding regularly is beneficial to your health.
- Choose friendly-environment furniture
A healthy bedroom environment is more conducive to ensuring sleep. Hazardous gases such as formaldehyde and benzene are very harmful to the human body. Doors and windows are usually closed during sleep, and harmful objects in the bedroom cannot be dissipated, which is more harmful. Therefore, bedroom furniture should choose more environmentally friendly materials.
Besides, the placement of bedroom furniture is also very particular. In addition to keeping it tidy, creating harmony is more conducive to sleep. The sense of harmony is manifested in the coordination of the pairing and placement of the furniture. The pairing of the bedside table and the bedside lamp is not because of the superstition of the twins, but the overall coordination gives people a psychological hint, suggesting that the entire environment is harmonious and suitable for sleeping quietly, thereby improving the quality of sleep.
- Get big appliances out of the bedroom
It is recommended that bedrooms do not have large appliances such as TVs, make sure the magnetic field of the bedroom is peaceful. High-power appliances can release electromagnetic waves to stimulate the brain and affect sleep. You should do something to calm your mind half an hour before bedtime to reduce the glare and mood fluctuations.
Not only will TV "stealing" your sleep time, but laptops, tablets, mobile phones, and other electronics will also affect sleep. Working before bedtime and checking emails will bring stress; surfing the Internet before bedtime will keep your brain excited for a long time; watching social networking sites before bedtime will bring negative emotions. Therefore, you should disable electronic products an hour before bedtime and calm your mood.
- Don't place enlarged potted plants
It is a good choice to have green plants in the bedroom, but large enlarged potted plants will snatch oxygen from people. Putting small potted plants indoors can adjust the indoor color configuration on the one hand and improve the oxygen content and humidity of the air on the other. The bedroom is suitable for placing small potted plants to decorate the bedroom environment.
For example, placing aloe vera indoors which can absorb carbon dioxide at night, purify formaldehyde, and so on. There are also relaxing and soothing effects. Jasmine is also a natural sleep assistant. The light fragrance can reduce the anxiety of the person and make you feel the dawn.
Adequate sleep is a guarantee of good health. And a good bedroom environment can allow you to relax as soon as possible, thereby ensuring good sleep quality. Therefore, it is extremely important to create a sleeping environment in the bedroom.
If you have any other questions, feel free to comment below and we would like to get back to you as soon as possible.
You may also like,